Tips and tricks to play Google’s Halloween “game doodle”
This year Google is celebrating Halloween in style by keeping the best for the last. Straight from the Magic Cat Academy, this year’s Halloween doodle is a game that features Momo, an adorable black cat with magic powers who is racing the clock to save her school from a crowd of invading ghosts.
In Magic Cat Academy, the player stars as Momo, a sorcerer kitty who summoned a ghost that stole his school’s master spellbook. Momo is based on the real-life cat that belongs to Google doodler Juliana Chen.
“This year’s Halloween Doodle follows freshman feline Momo on her mission to rescue her school of magic,” Google notes. “Help her cast out mischievous spirits by swiping in the shape of the symbols above the ghosts’ heads. And you’d better pouncefast — the ghost that stole the master spellbook is getting away!”
According to Google, four teams have worked to develop the game, handling different parts: art, engineering, production and music production. Players navigate through five different levels of Magic Cat Academy – all set in a school environment – racing against time to swipe away ghosts headed toward Momo. The five levels are set in the school’s library, classroom, cafeteria, gym and the rooftop. The players will get five hearts, which is their lifeline to make it through a total five stages.
Each ghost that crawls toward Momo has symbol or series of symbols above its head and players must draw it over the ghost on the screen in due time to knock it out. The Verge mentions the symbols as “A V and inverted V, horizontal and vertical lines, and lightning bolts.” Each stage is increasingly more difficult than the previous ones, as ghosts get faster, more powerful, and nastier.
Google notes that the game was originally about a cat that made soup, before it transformed into its final incarnation with wizards (i.e. Harry Potter style). The search giant says it started with various ideas of elaborate symbols to draw, but in the end, decided a “short game against the clock” was a better option. “Plans like the ‘Eiffel Tower spell’ were abandoned, and similarly, gag spells didn’t make the cut,” says Google, “Regardless, we loved the process of dreaming up the possibilities.”
Halloween “game doodle” is a cute game for a browser, but it also looks as though it could be well suited for other mediums, such as VR (virtual reality). Here are some useful tips and tricks for the game that could help you get fair scores:
- Try and draw smaller lines to draw symbols quickly, as more you stretch the lines, the more time it will consume. Even though this hack only saves you a fraction of a second but in fast casual games like these that short time counts for a lot.
- Always draw first the symbols of ghosts and spirits that are nearer to you, otherwise the Halloween “game doodle” is difficult to complete.
- Since the ghosts move very quickly, the above is difficult to keep track of. However, combos are allowed. So, if your first symbol of multiple ghosts above is a vertical line, drawing one will destroy them all.
- Keep a watch on the ghost with an S-shaped symbol, as destroying that ghost suddenly diminishes the rest of them or at least does some damage.
- While ghosts with multiple symbols are difficult to kill, you can draw their symbols as quickly as you can since they move slower.
- Lastly, replenish your life by drawing the heart whenever you get the chance. Try to be accurate as much as possible.
SOURCE: Google Doodle