Here is how to use Tor anonymous instant messenger
The Tor Project has just released the beta version of Tor Messenger, a chat client that allows for anonymous, “off-the-record” chats based on Tor’s secure browsing system.
The Tor instant messaging service is a beta release and took Tor Project developers more than a year to make, promises to create a more private, seamless, accessible way for people to chat securely on the web. The Tor Messenger is built on the instant messaging client Instantbird, works a lot like Adium, but all chat traffic will be through Tor anonymity network for added privacy.
- Drag the app to your Applications folder
- Run and launch the app (currently in beta)
- Log in to your preferred instant messaging service or services
- Once logged in, you will be able to chat securely and anonymously without any further extra hacking.
- Jabber (XMPP) chat protocol
- IRC (Internet Relay Chat)
- Facebook Chat
- Google Talk
- Desktop clients like Adium for Mac and Pidgin for Windows
Tor Messenger: Future Integration
- Sandboxing (for increased security)
- Automatic updates
- OTR for Twitter DMs
- Better support for Tor’s protocols
- Secure multi-party communication (np1sec)
- Encrypted File Transfers