- 1 The court handed over its verdict this morning charging the the 28 yrs old moderator a ransom $652,000 for the unauthorized sharing of the movie.The man was also handed a JAIL SENTENCE and was asked to complete 160 hours of community service for the other 517.
- 2 It was 2011 when the BitTorrent tracker Swebits.org announced its closure an user was arrested.The moderator was charged for allegedly obtaining huge quantities of content from the warez scene and sharing the titles with the users.
- 3 Sources says Rights Alliance lawyer Henrik Ponten has acepted that The Damages awarded is the Largest ever for a Swedish Movie.”[The $652,000] refers to compensation and is equal to what the man would have paid if he had bought a license to distribute the movie for free downloads” Pontén explains.
- 4 Further he added “The man also has to pay damages for other losses such as disturbing the market and goodwill losses. This shows what damages are caused to the creators and rights holders by the illegal file-sharing of one movie.”
- 5 Investigation carried out by the anti-piracy outfit Antipiratbyran(Rights Alliance) was concluded in the Vastamanlands District court Last month.The Prosecution had demanded at least one year of jail fro Sweden “worst ever” individual movie pirate.
- 6 Pirates Party are outraged by this decision coming out hard..“To receive such a harsh penalty for doing something carried out by millions of Swedes shows how outdated our legislation is. The only way forward is a radical reform of copyright law that allows for the sharing of culture,” said Gustav Nipe, chairman of the Young Pirates.