Last year, WhatsApp introduced the ability to transfer chats from iPhone to Android devices. Now, the popular messaging platform has launched the same functionality for all Android devices as a stable version. In other words, users can now freely migrate their chat history from Android to iOS devices.
“A new way to keep the chats that mean the most. Today, you’ll have the ability to transfer your entire chat history from Android to iOS and vice versa. Now you have the freedom to switch to and from your preferred devices,” WhatsApp made the announcement on Twitter on Wednesday.
A new way to keep the chats that mean the most ?? Today, you’ll have the ability to transfer your entire chat history from Android to iOS and vice versa. Now you have the freedom to switch to and from your preferred devices.
— WhatsApp (@WhatsApp) July 20, 2022
Users who are moving from an Android phone to an iPhone can now transfer their account information, profile photo, personal messages, individual chats, group chats, chat history, media, and settings. However, they cannot transfer their call history, peer-to-peer payment messages, or display names.
In order to migrate your WhatsApp chat history from an Android phone to an iOS device, you need the following:
- Android OS Lollipop, SDK 21 or above, or Android 5 or above installed on your Android device
- iOS 15.5 or above installed on your iPhone
- Move to iOS app installed on your Android phone
- WhatsApp iOS version 22.214.171.124 or above on your new device
- WhatsApp Android version 126.96.36.199 or above on your old device
- Use the same phone number as your old phone on your new device
- Your iPhone must be factory new or reset to factory settings to pair with the Move to iOS app and move data from your Android phone
- Both of your devices must be connected to a power source
- Both of your devices need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network or you’ll need to connect your Android device to your iPhone’s hotspot
How To Transfer Your Chat History From Android To iOS?
- Open the Move to iOS app on your Android phone and follow the on-screen prompts.
- A code will be displayed on your iPhone. When prompted, enter the code on your Android phone.
- Tap Continue and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Select WhatsApp on the Transfer Data.
- Tap START on your Android phone, and wait for WhatsApp to prepare the data for export. You’ll be signed out from your Android phone once the data is prepared.
- Tap NEXT to return to the Move to iOS app.
- Tap CONTINUE to transfer the data from your Android phone to your iPhone and wait for Move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.
- Install the latest version of WhatsApp from the App Store.
- Open WhatsApp and log in using the same phone number used on your old device.
- Tap Start when prompted, and allow the process to complete.
- Finish activating your new device and you’ll see your chats waiting for you.
Please note that your transferred WhatsApp data doesn’t go to cloud storage as a result of the migration. Therefore, you will have to create an iCloud backup to use cloud storage.
Further, the company claims that it is unable to see the WhatsApp data you transfer from one device to another, as chats are end-to-end encrypted. Also, even after you transfer chat history from Android to iPhone, your Android phone will still have your data unless you delete WhatsApp or wipe your phone.