Table Of Contents
OnePlus One Phones Officially Get Android 5 Lollipop-based Oxygen OS: How to Install
After waiting for weeks, OnePlus has finally released its standalone Android 5.0 Lollipop based operating system called Oxygen OS. Delayed by almost a week due to some security issues found with the OS by OnePlus engineers, Oxygen OS is now available for download.
“Our goal for OxygenOS is to provide faster, more meaningful updates and a better-integrated range of services for every OnePlus user,” said OnePlus’ Carl Pei in a blog post. Pei emphasized the back to basics philosophy of the project, that values “performance and battery life over gimmicks and bloated features.”
At first look Oxygen OS seems to be similar to the stock Android however OnePlus team has added a number of features to to enhance user experience. OnePlus states the Oxygen OS is light in nature and won’t be system heavy. The OS also features several essential features, screen gestures, quick settings and an improved file manager.
Oxygen OS carries over gesture support, first available on Oppo’s Color OS and adopted on Cyanogen OS 11s. You can draw various gestures on the screen of the OnePlus One (even with the screen turned off) and quickly launch apps like the flashlight or camera.
Another feature is the improved quick settings, which lets you reorder settings tiles and choose the ones you want to see. This feature seems to be inspired by Paranoid Android, and that should be no surprise, given that many of the key people behind PA are now contributing to Oxygen OS.
Oxygen OS also comes with a file manager as well as the ability to customize lockscreen wallpapers and switch between capacitive and on-screen navigation keys.
How to install Oxygen OS on your OnePlue One smartphone
If you are comfortable with flashing with your smartphones you can proceed with the below given tutorial. Be sure to backup your data and files before flashing your smartphone because Oxygen OS will wipe out your entire system data as well as files.
So all you need to do is download the Oxygen OS ROM from here and flash the OnePlus One smartphone with the latest ROM. Following are the step-by-step guide to achieve the needful.
The following instructions assume you have Fastboot and ADB installed.
- You need to flash a system recovery onto your device. OnePlus recommends using TWRP for the process. Please download the recovery image to your computer.
- Boot your phone into fastboot mode by holding down the power button and the volume up button together. When you see the fastboot logo, connect your device to your computer.
- In your computer terminal window, locate the folder where you put the recovery image and run the following commands:
- fastboot oem unlock (You can skip this step if your phone’s bootloader is already unlocked).
fastboot flash recovery . Image file should be the TWRP recovery image.
You should now have the recovery installed.
Unzip oxygenos_1.0.0.zip file you’ve just downloaded. In the uncompressed file you will see a oxygenos_1.0.0.flashable.zip file. Copy oxygenos_1.0.0.flashable.zip to your phone. If you’re using a Mac system, you can use Android File Transfer to solve the purpose.
Boot into recovery mode again. You can do this on your OnePlus One phone by holding down both the volume down key and the power button together.
Once you are in the recovery interface, factory reset (systemp wipe) your OnePlus One smartphone.
After the wipe, locate the oxygenos_1.0.0.flashable.zip and install. Confirm flash. This command will successfully flash OxygenOS onto your device.
After the flash succeeds, you can reboot the device, which will take you to the new OxygenOS.
Download and Install the Oxygen Feedback App
Download the apk installer file from here
Enable the installation from unknown sources from settings->security on your OnePlus phone.
Note- If you feel to rollback to CM, Make sure you have TWRP or CM recovery on the device. Another factory reset will be needed before flashing unfortunately so make sure you backup all of you data before commencing. Flashing OnePlus One does not void your warranty.
Accroding to OnePlus, following are the few known issues of the latest build-
- When printing images, printer service may stop
- Cannot hang up a call using headphone controls (intermittent)
- OTG can only recognize FAT32 file system
- During system update, display of wifi/data notification may be incorrect
- During system update, display of version number may be incorrect
- Files sometimes crash when uploading files to the cloud
- Files may crash when renaming image files
- Files does not support multi-select deletes
You May Also Like: OnePlus drone DR-1 coming to stores next month #OneGameChanger