Sony rolls out Android 5.1 Lollipop OTA update for Sony Xperia Z2 and Sony Xperia Z3
Sony Mobile made a remarkable move by releasing Android 5.1 Lollipop firmware upgrade from for Xperia Z3 and Z2 series of smartphones and tablets. The upgrade includes a host of performance tweaks and feature enhancements including camera improvements, SmartWear integration, volume slider menu, LinkedIn integration, enhanced enterprise support and increased customization options.
Here is the complete list of tweaks ported into the latest Lollipop update for the Xperia Z2 and Z3 series, according to the official release notes:
- Increased customisation options – user can have even more control over the way volume, silent modes and alerts function
- Brand new LinkedIn integration – enables intuitive contact synchronisation in Calendar
- Camera improvements – faster, more accurate Superior Auto Mode focus for better images, regardless of conditions
- Enhanced enterprise support – latest Xperia in Business features for work
- SmartWear integration – selfie snapping made that bit easier, with SmartWatch 3 as a remote shutter button
To check your Xperia Z3 for the Android 5.1.1 update, go to Settings > About Phone > Software Update. It may take a little while for individual carriers to get the update out; however, it is available now for unlocked devices.
According to XperiaBlog, Xperia Z3 Compact (D5803) and Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact (SGP612) FTF have started receiving the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop OTA update with firmware build number 23.4.A.0.546.
The Z3 Compact has started receiving the new update in the Baltics and the Middle East, while the Lollipop update for Z3 Tablet Compact is only live in Italy.
Sony Mobile confirms that in the coming weeks, the Xperia Z1, Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra are likely to receive the Lollipop update, which will be soon followed by Xperia T2 Ultra and Xperia C3, and then the Xperia Z series preceding the Xperia M2 and Xperia M2 Aqua.
Sony said that the Android 5.1 Lollipop update should roll out “late July”. Users will have to wait for the OTA notification to pop up on their devices, or they can manually download them from the Sony Xperia website soon. Go to your About Device > Software Update > Update Now to check for updates.