Can you answer these 20 difficult questions asked in Google interviews?
Getting a job in Google is a dream come true for millions of engineers. Google has been ranked by job-community website, Glassdoor as ‘best workplaces’ year after year. Many job aspirants aspire to get a job in Google but getting one seems to be the toughest assignment according to Glassdoor.
We already know that Google takes on board only the best talent available in the world over and therefore it is well known for asking difficult and tricky interview questions. If you are an engineer and want to try your luck at Google, this post is for you. Here we’ve compiled a list of some of the most difficult questions asked during job interviews at Google for a variety of job profiles.
Remember only a handful of job candidates actually made it according to Glassdoor. Even if you are not trying to get into Google, it would be good to take up the challenge of solving these really tough questions.
- Question for a Software Engineer : Implement a binary tree and explain it’s function.
- Question for an Associate Product Manager : What is the marginal cost of a gigabyte in Gmail?
- Question for a Software Engineer : Create a cost model that allows Google to make purchasing decisions on to compare the cost of purchasing more RAM memory for their servers vs. buying more disk space.
- Question for a Software Engineer : Write an iterator over multiple collections.
- Question for a Software Engineer : How do you check if a URL is bad really fast in Google server. (The point is for the user not to notice the lag in the checking)
- Question for a Senior Software Engineer : Develop a solution to convex hull and state its complexity.
- Question for a Senior Software Engineer : How many golf balls can fit in a school bus?
- Question for an Engineer : If you were given the land prices in the Bay Area, what would you pick, the mean or the median? Why?
- Question for a Product Manager : What happens from the point when you type in a URL in your browser to the point the page gets displayed?
- Question for a Product Manager : If you host a celebrity website which displays ads and suddenly notice a drop in traffic to your site/clicks on ads, how do you root cause the issue?
- Question for an AdSense Account Manager : What is the next billion dollar idea for Google?
- Question for a Programmer : How would you implement an MS Paint clone? (What objects and methods would you need, how would they draw on the canvas, and what UI elements would be necessary?)
- Question for a Patent Docketing Specialist : You have 7 balls. One weighs more than the others (not significantly) (You have a scale, like the scales of justice. Describe how to find the weighted ball only using the scale twice.)
- Question for a Product Manager : If you have a vacant field and add one flower and the number of flowers doubles every day and at the end of 45 days, the field is full, on what day is the field half full?
- Question for a Rich Media Campaign Manager : How many people do you think are using their cell phone in the entire world at this very moment?
- Question for Mobile Product Manager : Do you know what “Peak Oil” is? Yes? good. You are the product manager of Peak Oil for Google. What do you do?
- Question for a Software Engineer : Design a system or algorithm to catalog all of the worlds books?
- Question for AdWords Representative : How many buses are there in Hyderabad?
- Question for Senior Software Engineer : Write a probability formula to tell how many bits will be changed when 1 is added to a 32 bit binary number.
- Question for Industry Leader : How do you think Media Agencies make money?
They are really tough!