Baby lost in chaos of Nice truck attack tracked down with help of Facebook
The popular social networking site, Facebook in the past has been responsible for tracking down and reuniting a lot of people through their site. This time too it managed to achieve the same feat by dismissing the perception that the social media network is a just sheer waste of time.
An eight-month-old baby boy who was lost in the commotion after the truck massacre in the French Riviera city of Nice was tracked down through Facebook on Friday.
Tiava Banner – who said she was not the mother of the baby – sent out an appeal on social media urging Facebook users to help her find the parents of the lost infant during Nice attack.
The boy, who was in a blue stroller, was lost when the rioting truck killed at least 84 people and sent hundreds of people fleeing in panic, after Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel zig-zagged through the crowd, who had been watching Bastille Day fireworks.
The post was shared thousands of times until it was updated with: “Found! Thank you Facebook and all those who helped us.”
A member of the family on Friday said: “A young woman found him and took him home with her. She then went online and found the photo of the baby on Facebook.”
The woman then contacted the baby’s parents. The eight-month-old baby’s parents have not been identified.
Her original post read: “We have lost BB 8 months. Nice friends if you’ve seen him if you were there if you have collected please contact me!!!!!”
Dozens of other people have appealed through social media to find missing loved ones, with messages along the lines of “We are worried to death” and “We haven’t heard from him since he went to see the fireworks.”
Authorities say 10 children were among the dead and around 50 children were in hospital.
After the deadly Nice attack, residents are opting for the social media platform to track their loved ones and the efforts are not that unsuccessful.